The Healing Crisis
a.k.a. The Herxheimer Reaction
What is the Herxheimer Reaction.
And What Could Happen During a Cleanse?
The Healing Crisis or as it is formally known, The Herxheimer Reaction, is characterized by a temporary increase in discomfort during the process of a detoxification cleanse. It occurs when toxins and wastes are being released faster than the body can eliminate them.
The complaints of the healing crisis may vary
from none, to mild or severe.
NOTE: A general rule of thumb is: the more toxins there are to eliminate - the more severe the affects of the detoxification.
What to Expect
The reaction is an indication that the process of cleansing and detoxification is working and that your body is cleaning itself of impurities, toxins and imbalances. The reactions are temporary and may occur immediately, within several days or even several weeks later.
But, depending on the levels of toxicity, other possible reactions are:
- Some people feel ill (flu like complaints) during the first few days of a cleanse because your body is dumping toxins into the blood stream for elimination. The ill-affects usually pass within 1-3 days. On rare occasions, they may last several weeks.
- Sometimes, the discomfort during the healing crisis is of greater intensity than before starting the cleanse.
- Another crisis may come after you begin feeling your very best.
- Or, there may be many small crises to go through before the final crisis is experienced.
- The healing crisis may bring about experiences of past conditions. While people often forget the diseases or injuries they have had in the past, they may be reminded during the healing crisis.
NOTE: many people experience little or no discomfort – at all.
In any case, the cleansing and purifying process is underway, and stored wastes and toxins are in a free-flowing state. The severity and duration of the healing crisis is an indication of amount of toxins and wastes stored in your body. Better out than in!
There are a wide variety of reactions,
ranging from none to severe,
that may manifest during a healing crisis including:
NOTE: a well-crafted whole body cleansing and detox program should provide a thorough, yet gentle cleanse. And, the program should allow the user to choose to target cleanse specific areas like: parasites, colon, digestion, liver and other organs as well as the whole body.
How to Ease Your Way Through the Healing Crisis:
- Drink plenty of fresh water to flush the body of toxins from the detoxification cleanse. Some professionals recommend distilled water as the best. Drink from 3 to 4 quarts (or liters) per day. This will help flush the toxins out of your system and speed along the detoxification.
- A headache may indicate insufficient water intake … drink more water!
- Avoid “white” foods. White flour products (bread, pasta, etc), milk and all dairy products, sugar and starches (white rice, potatoes).
- Eat light meals. Chicken, turkey, vegetables and soups are especially beneficial.
- Avoid red meat.
- Be kind to yourself, and get the rest that you need. If you are feeling fatigued or sleepy, your body is telling you to rest.
- On occasion, a reduction of the dosage or temporary cessation may be required until the severity subsides.
- Symptoms frequently disappear immediately after a good bowel movement.
- A good massage might be helpful to speed up the healing process and reduce the discomfort.
The benefits of a detoxified, pure body far outweigh any inconveniences that you might experience during the process. Many people describe experiencing a feeling of lightness, others are unable to describe what they experience other than to say they can’t remember when they felt better.
Keeping your body cleansed and refreshed
is the best insurance against declining and failing health.
There are 2 types of people who should consider cleansing:
- People who choose to maintain their Radiant Health, should consider a detoxification cleanse
. . . it’s good insurance for maintaining their edge.
- People who feel their health slipping away should consider whole body cleansing
. . . it’s their second chance at health.
Keep Your Body Clean – on the Inside
to Protect of Improve Your Health
Help your body eliminate the wastes, toxins and contaminates that affect your well-being and your health. Thorough, Gentle Cleansing